Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in Minnesota
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 House MN elections (number of quotes indicated):
- Angie Craig (4) Democrat U.S. Rep Minnesota- 2
- Collin Peterson (1) Democrat/Farmer/Labor U.S. Rep Minnesota-7
- Dean Phillips (6) Democrat U.S. Rep Minnesota- 3
- Ilhan Omar (10) Democrat U.S. Rep Minnesota- 5
- Jason Lewis (2) Republican Senate challenger Minnesota
- Jim Hagedorn (10) Republican U.S. Rep Minnesota- 1
- Pete Stauber (15) Republican U.S. Rep Minnesota- 8
- Tom Emmer (1) Republican House Member U.S. Rep Minnesota- 6
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
2018 Minnesota House race news coverage:
- MN-2 & MN-8: Minnesota Reformer, "Families of kids with disabilities struggle with distance learning," by Rilyn Eischens, April 15, 2020
- MN-8: Hutchinson Leader, "EPA announces new water protection rule," by Jeremy Jones, Jan 30, 2020
- MN-8: Duluth News-Tribune, "Steelworkers call on Stauber to support union bill," by Brady Slater, Jan 29, 2020
- MN-8: KSTP Eyewitness News 5-ABC, "Trump: New trade deal with Canada, Mexico to boost US growth," January 29, 2020
- MN-2 & MN-5: Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "Echoes of Omar: Jason Lewis said Republicans have 'dual loyalties' to Israel," by P.Condon, 9/21/19
- MN-5: CBS Face the Nation interview of Ilhan Omar, September 15, 2019
- MN-5: New York Times, "It Is Not Enough to Condemn Trump's Racism," by Rep. Ilhan Omar, July 25, 2019
- MN-6 & MN-7: Washington Blade, "House votes to defund trans military ban in rebuke to Trump," by Chris Johnson, June 18, 2019
- MN-3: Insight News, "Rep. Phillips sponsors legislation to protect Liberian refugees," Feb 14, 2019
- MN-3: SW News Media, "Phillips backs bill to overturn Citizens United," by Eden Teller, Feb 1, 2019
- MN-3: SW News Media, "Rep. Phillips cosponsors universal background checks bill," by Melissa Turtinen, Jan 15, 2019
- MN-2: Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "Jason Lewis blames GOP losses on the late Sen. John McCain," by Judy Keen, Nov. 12, 2018
- MN-5: Minneapolis Southwest Journal, "Ilhan Omar's road to Washington", by Michelle Bruch, 11/12/2018
- MN-1: Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "I'll keep southern Minnesota, and our country, on the right path," by Jim Hagedorn, 10/29/2018
- MN-1: Minnesota Public Radio, "Feehan, Hagedorn debate Trump, tariffs and farming", by Brianna Biersbach, 10/12/2018
- MN-8: MPR Minnesota voter guide: "Where the 8th District candidates stand on the issues," by Sara Porter, October 10, 2018
- MN-2 & MN-1: Twin Cities Pioneer Press, "Two rural Minnesota congressional races could turn on Trump policies", by Ryan Faircloth, 10/9/2018
- MN-1: CBS Minnesota, "Jim Hagedorn: 2018 Election Guide", 7/24/2018
- MN-8: Duluth News-Tribune, "8th District election wrestles with environment," by Brady Slater, May 15, 2018
Special coverage of "Blue Wave" states:
- CA: 7 new House members including 6 Democrats and 5 Democratic takeovers
- FL: 5 new House members including 2 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MI: 5 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MN: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers (and 1 Republican takeover!)
- NJ: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- NY: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- PA: 7 new House members including 4 Democrats and 4 Democratic takeovers (with statewide redistricting)
- TX: 10 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- VA: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- All other states: 51 new House members including 17 Democratic takeovers
- Endorsements: Organizational endorsements of new House members, from groups that focus on one issue
- 2019 House incumbents: continuing coverage of the 116th Congress
Conclusion: the "Blue Wave" means Democrats took over Congress but the rest is media hype.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Pete Stauber: Life begins at conception.
Collin Peterson: Allow transgender people in the military.
Tom Emmer: Allow transgender people in the military.
Ilhan Omar: Decrease penalties for protesters, sex offenders, and others.
Pete Stauber: Does not support the legalization of marijuana.
Ilhan Omar: Supports cannabis legalization.
Angie Craig: Remote special ed financial strain for school districts.
Pete Stauber: Remote special ed financial strain for school districts.
Pete Stauber: Students should have more options than college.
Angie Craig: Career-training program as alternative to college.
Angie Craig: Prioritize increasing access to vocational training.
Energy & Oil|
Jim Hagedorn: Don't turn our economy upside-down due to climate change.
Pete Stauber: Against Paris Climate deal, oppose job killing regulation.
Pete Stauber: Government can't force transition to renewable energy.
Pete Stauber: Supports EPA rule change on navigable waterways.
Jim Hagedorn: Draconian regulations are burdensome to farmers.
Jim Hagedorn: EPA regulations are invasive toward farming efforts.
Pete Stauber: Can be a balance between mining & protecting the environment.
Families & Children|
Ilhan Omar: Expand grants for childcare for student parents.
Ilhan Omar: Supports boycott/divest/sanction movement against Israel.
Ilhan Omar: Anti-Israel tropes sparked House Resolution & apology.
Jason Lewis: Question dual loyalty of American Jews toward Israel.
Pete Stauber: North American trade deal will create new jobs.
Jim Hagedorn: Push to access new markets & narrow the trade deficit.
Jim Hagedorn: Tariffs aren't permanently beneficial; support open markets.
Ilhan Omar: Our democracy isn't perfect, but has tools to make it better.
Dean Phillips: Backing bill to overturn Citizens United.
Dean Phillips: Doesn't accept money from federal lobbyists or PACs.
Pete Stauber: Rightsize the federal government via less spending.
Angie Craig: Pledges to hold a monthly public town hall.
Ilhan Omar: I have consistently delivered transparency in public office.
Dean Phillips: Co-sponsored bill for universal background checks.
Ilhan Omar: Proud to participate in action preventing gun violence.
Pete Stauber: Protect 2nd amendment: database on mentally ill & abusers.
Pete Stauber: Never concerned about a law-abiding citizen with a handgun.
Jason Lewis: Keep pre-existing condition coverage in replacement plans.
Dean Phillips: Offer Medicare as a public option.
Pete Stauber: ObamaCare was a disaster.
Ilhan Omar: Seeking asylum is a right; policy should be humane and just.
Dean Phillips: Pathway to citizenship for qualifying Liberian refugees.
Jim Hagedorn: Replace chain migration with merit-based system.
Jim Hagedorn: Illegal immigration overwhelms communities; disrupts order.
Jim Hagedorn: Build the wall to enforce legal immigration process.
Pete Stauber: Secure border with walls in some places.
Dean Phillips: Supports $15/hour minimum wage.
Ilhan Omar: Fight for federal $15 minimum wage.
Pete Stauber: Would protect Social Security & Medicare from cuts.
Jim Hagedorn: Trump tax cuts led to increased wages & low unemployment.
Welfare & Poverty|
Jim Hagedorn: Supports workfare: able-bodied welfare recipients must work.
The above quotations are from News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in Minnesota.