Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in Texas
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 House TX elections (number of quotes indicated):
- Chip Roy (3) Republican U.S. Rep Texas- 21
- Dan Crenshaw (5) Republican U.S. Rep Texas- 2
- Lance Gooden (3) Republican U.S. Rep Texas- 5
- Michael McCaul (1) Republican U.S. Rep Texas-10
- Ron Wright (3) Republican U.S. Rep Texas- 6
- Sylvia Garcia (7) Democrat U.S. Rep Texas- 29
- Van Taylor (10) Republican U.S. Rep Texas- 3
- Will Hurd (1) Republican House Member U.S. Rep Texas- 23
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
2018 TX House race news coverage:
- TX-5: The Cedar Creek Lake Monitor, "Congressman Gooden holds town hall meeting at high school," by Denise York
- TX-21: The Pluralist, "Rep Pushes for Drug Cartels to Be Designated as Terrorist Organizations," by Jason Hopkins, 11/21/19
- TX-6: Stars and Stripes, "Texas congressman introduces bill to care for military dogs," by Steven Beynon, Nov. 14, 2019
- TX-10: Dallas Morning News, "Get U.S. troops out of the way if Turkey planned to 'ethnically cleanse the Kurds'," by Todd J. Gillman, Oct. 23, 2019
- TX-6: Waxahachi Daily Light, "One-on-one with Congressman Ron Wright," by Patrick Clarke, Oct 12, 2019
- TX-2: The Texan News, "Crenshaw Talks Guns, Healthcare, and Immigration," by Holly Hansen, August 29, 2019
- TX-2: Houston Chronicle, "Dan Crenshaw irks both the left and right with gun comments," by Jeremy Wallace, Aug. 7, 2019
- TX-6: Dallas News, "Should women be punished for having abortions? 'Absolutely,' Wright says," by Matthew Adams, 6/6/19
- TX-21: CNBC.com, "House Republican holds up $19 billion disaster relief bill expected to pass unanimously," May 24, 2019
- TX-23: Rolling Stone, "Republican Congressman: Trump's Border Crisis Is a 'Myth'," by Andy Kroll, 1/18/19
- TX-5: KERA News 91.7FM NPR, "Gooden Backs A National Emergency Declaration Over The Border Wall," by Jill Ament, 1/11/19
- TX-3: Texas Scorecard, "Taylor Reflects on Good Governance and How to Bring it to DC," by Saurabh Sharma, 12/21/2018
- TX-2: Washington Post, "Why guys like me go to places like Syria," by Dan Crenshaw, Dec. 21, 2018
- TX-29: Houston Chronicle, "Rep-elect Garcia gets another shot at 'Dreamer' legislation," by Kevin Diaz, 12/2/2018
- TX-21: Politico.com, "Meet the Next Ted Cruz," by Tim Alberta, October 23, 2018
- TX-29: Houston Public Media, "Garcia Calls for Protecting, Expanding Affordable Health Care" by Andrew Schneider, 9/4/2018
- TX-29: San Antonio Express-News, "Senate passes 'school choice' bill," by Bobby Cervantes, 3/30/2017
- TX-3 & TX-29: Texas Tribune, "Senate Education Committee passes school choice legislation," by Aliyya Swaby, 3/23/2017
- TX-29: KHOU 11, "Bill would make schools test water for lead," by Scott Noll, 3/9/2017
- TX-3: Pew Trusts, "After Court Setbacks, Lawmakers Push for New Voting Restrictions," by Rebecca Beitsch, 2/28/2017
- TX-3 & TX-29: Victoria Advocate, "Senator files bills on water rights" by Sara Sneath, 1/10/2017
- TX-3: Fort Worth Star-Telegram, "Texas lawmaker pushes majority rules in the oilfield," by Max B. Baker, 11/25/2016
- TX-29: Texas Observer, "Religious Freedom is Only for Christians in Texas," by David R. Brockman, 11/1/2016
- TX-29: Waco Tribune-Herald, "Hispanics need to think about health care enrollment," by Sylvia Garcia, 3/16/2014
- TX-29: San Antonio Express-News, "Democrat Lucio followed faith, not party," by Kolten Parker, 7/19/2013
- TX-3: USA Today, "Texas House passes 12 firearms bills on 'gun day'" 5/4/2013
Special coverage of "Blue Wave" states:
- CA: 7 new House members including 6 Democrats and 5 Democratic takeovers
- FL: 5 new House members including 2 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MI: 5 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MN: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers (and 1 Republican takeover!)
- NJ: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- NY: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- PA: 7 new House members including 4 Democrats and 4 Democratic takeovers (with statewide redistricting)
- TX: 10 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- VA: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- Endorsements: Organizational endorsements of new House members, from groups that focus on one issue
- All other states: 51 new House members including 17 Democratic takeovers
Conclusion: the "Blue Wave" means Democrats took over Congress but the rest is media hype.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Ron Wright: Says women should be punished; later says only providers.
Sylvia Garcia: Women capable of making own decision with doctor's advice.
Sylvia Garcia: Against abortion, but respects a woman's right to one.
Chip Roy: Label Mexican drug cartels as terrorist organizations.
Lance Gooden: Allow states to legalize medical cannabis, but no other uses.
Ron Wright: Expand education aid for prisoners & those in trade schools.
Van Taylor: Protecting public schools is critical for future success.
Chip Roy: Bureaucrats should not override political officials.
Sylvia Garcia: Texas school choice bill grabs funding from public schools.
Van Taylor: Vouchers decrease growth and help public schools in long run.
Energy & Oil|
Dan Crenshaw: Green New Deal has limited focus, need exportable solutions.
Van Taylor: Allow energy producers easier oilfield access.
Van Taylor: Bureaucratic hold up diminishes access to water resources.
Van Taylor: Voter registration database would ensure citizenship status.
Dan Crenshaw: AR-15 good weapon to defend yourself in your home.
Van Taylor: Proposed bill to allow gun license as form of ID.
Van Taylor: Market-based solutions drive down costs; increases access.
Sylvia Garcia: Texas refusal to expand Medicaid was economically unwise.
Ron Wright: Proposes grant program for retired military & police dogs.
Dan Crenshaw: What veterans need is a clear mission & resources to do it.
Lance Gooden: Pay for border wall any way we can.
Chip Roy: Blocked disaster relief for not addressing crisis at border.
Van Taylor: America is nation of immigrants, but our system is broken.
Will Hurd: Border wall is 3rd-century solution to 21st-century problem.
Lance Gooden: Supports Trump's declaration of border emergency.
Van Taylor: Break immigration issue into little pieces to find solutions.
Sylvia Garcia: The DREAM Act cannot be combined with building border wall.
Dan Crenshaw: Build a wall on some parts, but other security along river.
Sylvia Garcia: Immigrants who meet requirements deserve path to citizenship.
Sylvia Garcia: Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security must be preserved.
Van Taylor: Taxation cripples businesses, families and economic growth.
War & Peace|
Michael McCaul: Abrupt US withdrawal from Syria benefits our adversaries.
Dan Crenshaw: We fight there so they don't bring it to us.
The above quotations are from News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in Texas.