Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
News coverage of `Red Wave` 2020 House races in California
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2020 House CA elections (number of quotes indicated):
- Anna Eshoo (4) Democrat U.S. Rep California-18
- Barbara Lee (1) Democrat U.S. Rep California-13
- Ben Sasse (2) Republican Jr Senator Nebraska
- Christy Smith (4) Democrat U.S. Rep California-25
- Jared Huffman (1) Democrat U.S. Rep California-2
- Josh Harder (1) Democrat U.S. Rep California- 10
- Kamala Harris (1) California Democratic nominee for Vice President; California Senator
- Katie Porter (3) Democrat U.S. Rep California- 45
- Kevin McCarthy (1) Republican U.S. Rep California-23
- Lauren Boebert (1) Republican U.S. Rep Colorado-3
- Michelle Steel (10) Republican U.S. Rep California-48
- Mike Garcia (7) Republican U.S. Rep California-25
- Mike Levin (3) Democrat U.S. Rep California- 49
- Nancy Pelosi (3) Democrat U.S. Rep California-12
- Sara Jacobs (6) Democrat U.S. Rep California-53
- TJ Cox (4) Democrat U.S. Rep California-21
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
2020 House race coverage:
- CA-12: Breitbart blog, "FBI Stonewalling on Chinese Spy Ties," by Kristina Wong, 12/16/2020
- CA-21: Legistorm, "Rep TJ Cox applauds passage of senate companion to his Methamphetamine Response Act," 11/17/2020
- CA-53: The San Diego Tribune, "At 31, San Diego's Sara Jacobs will be the youngest California representative in Congress," by Andrew Dyer, 11/4/2020
- CA-18, CA-25, and others:ScienceDebate.org questionnaire, Anna Eshoo and others, November 2020
- CA-21: The Hanford Sentinel, "Meet the Candidates: TJ Cox," by Noe Garcia, 10/29/2020
- CA-12: Sacramento Bee, "Nancy Pelosi defends marijuana's COVID-19 potential," by Summer Lin, July 31, 2020
- HRC press release, "Human Rights Campaign Endorses 40 House, 5 Senate Pro-Equality Leaders," May 18, 2020
- CA-45: Salon.com, "Fox News host tries to grill Democratic Rep. Katie Porter, gets schooled," by Bob Brigham, April 26, 2020
- CA-21: KGET.com, "Former Rep TJ Cox launches new PAC aimed at registering Central Valley voters, addresses political future," by Eytan Wallance, 4/19/2021
- CA-45: The Motley Fool e-zine, "Marijuana Industry's Inclusion in Future Coronavirus Relief Packages," by Eric Volkman, Apr 18, 2020
- CA-2: Minnesota Reformer, "Families of kids with disabilities struggle with distance learning," by Rilyn Eischens, April 15, 2020
- CA-12: CNN 2020 "State of the Union" interview of Gov. Mike DeWine, Pete Ricketts, and Nancy Pelosi, March 29, 2020
- CA-49: The Hill e-zine, "Democrat presses top Trump official on rollback of safety regulations," by Rachel Frazin, 03/10/20
- CA-53: The San Diego Tribune, "Jacobs is heavily invested in banks, drugmakers," by Jeff McDonald, 2/27/2020
- CA-49: San Diego Union Tribune, "Q&A: Mike Levin, candidate for the 49th Congressional District," Jan. 30, 2020
Special coverage of "Red Wave" states:
- CA: 7 new House members including 1 Democrat hold & 2 Republican holds; and 3 Republican takeovers + 1 SPEL takeover
- FL: 5 new House members, including 2 Republican holds and 3 Republican takeovers
- NY: 5 new House members including 3 Democrat holds & 1 Republican hold; and 1 Republican takeover + 1 SPEL hold
- TX: 7 new House members, all 7 Republican holds.
- All other states: 52 new House members including 10 Republican takeovers and 3 Democratic takeovers
- Endorsements: Organizational endorsements of new House members, from groups that focus on one issue
- 2021 House incumbents: continuing coverage of the 117th Congress
Conclusion: the "Red Wave" means Republicans made some gains in Congress when they were expected to lose seats.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Michelle Steel: Promotes business-friendly climate, free market principles.
Christy Smith: COVID: Help seniors with job info, maybe direct cash.
Mike Garcia: COVID: help businesses & unemployed.
Michelle Steel: Calls for stop to hate crimes against Asians.
Sara Jacobs: Fight against AAPI hate crimes.
Christy Smith: Endorsed by Human Rights Campaign for LGBTQ+ Equality.
Josh Harder: Achieve LGBTQ equality across the country.
Katie Porter: Fight to achieve true equality for the LGBTQ community.
TJ Cox: Fight to achieve true equality for the LGBTQ community.
Mike Garcia: Illegal pot farms lead to crime and threats.
TJ Cox: Meth is a common drug in Central Valley; need to fight it.
Anna Eshoo: Allow medication-assisted treatment for opioid use disorder.
Nancy Pelosi: Defended pro-marijuana position in COVID bill.
Katie Porter: Relief for marijuana industry, including SBA assistance.
Michelle Steel: Parents should be able to choose their kids' schools.
Jared Huffman: Remote special ed financial strain for school districts.
Energy & Oil|
Michelle Steel: Keep energy prices down and invest in renewables.
Sara Jacobs: Climate change is a big priority for millennial lawmakers.
Kamala Harris: California fires show climate crisis is public health crisis.
Mike Levin: You can protect environment and grow the economy.
Michelle Steel: Protect beaches for human use.
Mike Levin: Challenged easing of safety testing regulations.
Families & Children|
Sara Jacobs: COVID relief must help small business, families, kids.
Mike Garcia: Condemn Hamas attacks on Israel, our ally.
Michelle Steel: Support NATO, allies and Israel with Jerusalem capital.
Sara Jacobs: U.S. needs to rebuild connections with allied countries.
Ben Sasse: Authoritarianism vs. democracy is struggle of our time.
Katie Porter: Global economy is big reason for US economic engine.
Sara Jacobs: Will not accept corporate PAC money.
Anna Eshoo: Advocate for strong privacy laws to avoid online abuse.
Nancy Pelosi: We don't accept Trump dismissing oversight provisions.
Lauren Boebert: Pro-2A, Pro-Constitution, Anti-Socialism.
Michelle Steel: Opposes single payer, government health care.
Anna Eshoo: Ban direct-to-consumer TV ads for prescription drugs.
Christy Smith: Tie prescription prices to world prices; cap increases.
Mike Garcia: Maintain integrity of Medicare; against Medicare for All.
Nancy Pelosi: President's denial ultimately cost American lives.
Kevin McCarthy: FBI should brief Congress on member linked to suspected spy.
Michelle Steel: Supports border wall to keep drugs and gangs out.
Principles & Values|
Mike Garcia: Support conservatives because liberals cannot govern CA.
TJ Cox: Register more voters, especially younger, BIPOC, women.
Barbara Lee: Representation matters:providing lenses others don't have.
Christy Smith: Keep Social Security out of conversations about deficits.
Mike Garcia: A contract that we absolutely must honor.
Mike Garcia: Lower taxes instead of Governor giving people cash.
Michelle Steel: Will fight to lower taxes and attempts to raise gas tax.
Mike Levin: 2017 tax cuts added $2 trillion to debt over ten years.
Michelle Steel: Infrastructure projects should not be overly regulated.
Anna Eshoo: Promotes research & bills to better youth & maternal health.
War & Peace|
Ben Sasse: Withdrawal from Iran deal problematic on many levels.
Welfare & Poverty|
TJ Cox: Central Valley is neglected; fight for opportunity there.
Sara Jacobs: Change system that favors some and leaves others behind.
The above quotations are from News coverage of `Red Wave` 2020 House races in California.