Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2022 Massachusetts Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2022 MA Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Ben Downing (16) Massachusetts Democratic candidate for governor
- Danielle Allen (13) Massachusetts Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Geoff Diehl (8) Massachusetts Republican Challenger
- Sonia Chang-Diaz (8) Massachusetts Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
2022 Massachusetts Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- Dorchester Reporter, "Fare-free buses, electrification anchor Chang-Díaz climate plan," by Katie Lannan, December 23, 2021
- Boston Globe, "Donald Trump endorses Republican Geoff Diehl for Massachusetts governor," by Emma Platoff, October 5, 2021
- The Newburyport Daily News, "Candidates knock Baker's pandemic management from left, right," by Matt Murphy, Aug 28, 2021
- The Berkshire Eagle, "74 members of Massachusetts Legislature sign letter urging federal action on voting rights," Aug 3, 2021
- WBUR 90.9-NPR, "Meeting The Gubernatorial Candidates: Sonia Chang-Díaz," by Tiziana Dearing, Chris Citorik, Anthony Brooks, & Ali Audet, July 22, 2021
- WGBH NPR-Boston, "Geoff Diehl Makes His Case For Governor, Shows Some Distance From Trump," by Hannah Reale, July 7, 2021
- The Patriot Ledger, "In bid for governor's office, Whitman's Geoff Diehl thinks conservatism can win statewide," by Joe Difazio, 7/7/21
- Boston Herald: "Geoff Diehl says he's the 'underdog' most likely to win the Republican nomination for governor," by Erin Tiernan, July 6, 2021
- CommonWealth Magazine, "Chang-Diaz emphasizes the urgency of now," by Michael Jonas, Jul 1, 2021
- WGBH Boston-NPR, "Democratic Gov Hopeful Danielle Allen Pans Baker's Sales Tax Holiday Pitch," by Adam Reilly, June 25, 2021
- MetroWest Daily News, "Immigrant tuition bills catching on--but not in Mass.," by Chris Lisinski, June 20, 2021
- The Harvard Crimson, "Harvard Professor Danielle Allen Officially Announces 2022 Campaign for Mass. Governor," by Leah J. Teichholtz, June 15, 2021
- WBUR 90.0-FM, "Danielle Allen, A Harvard Ethicist, Launches Historic Bid For Governor," June 15, 2021
- WAMC Albany-NPR, "Harvard Professor Danielle Allen Announces Run for Massachusetts Governor," by Paul Tuthill, Jun 15, 2021
- The Springfield Republican (MassLive.com), "Cannabis equity applicants look forward to home delivery, but struggle with startup costs," by Melissa Hanson, Feb. 17, 2021
- The Charlestown Bridge, "Former State Senator Ben Downing Announces Candidacy for Governor," by John Lynds, February 11, 2021
- The Boston Globe, "What to know about Ben Downing, the former Massachusetts state senator who just announced a campaign to be governor," by Nik DeCosta-Klipa, February 8, 2021
- The Boston Globe, "Ben Downing, former state senator, launches campaign for governor," by Victoria McGrane, February 8, 2021
- The Boston Herald,
- The Boston Herald, "Former state Sen. Ben Downing to run for Massachusetts governor," by Lisa Kashinsky, February 8, 2021
- NBC Boston, "Former State Senator Announces Bid for Mass. Governor," by Alison King, February 8, 2021
- Jamaica Plain News, "Sen. Chang-Díaz Reflects on Police Reform Legislation She Shepherded," by David Ertischek, January 1, 2021
- WAMC, "Personal Responsibility Isn't Enough," by Ben Downing, Dec 28, 2020
- Washington Post Opinion: "Why I'm exploring a run for governor of Massachusetts," by Danielle Allen, December 18, 2020
- WAMC, "Grief, Loss And Leadership," by Ben Downing, Dec 10, 2020
- Commonwealth Magazine, "Solar revolution is stalled, needs to shift into gear," by Ben Downing and Ben Underwood, Dec 10, 2020
- Boston Herald: "Harvard professor Danielle Allen first to emerge in 2022 governor's race," by Erin Tiernan, December 14, 2020
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Danielle Allen: East-west rail clearly important; definitely a high priority.
Ben Downing: We have widening economic and racial gaps in Massachusetts.
Ben Downing: We're left weaker by tax cuts for wealthy & budget cuts.
Ben Downing: Encourage savings with prize linked savings accounts.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Social equity loans for those impacted by cannabis arrests.
Geoff Diehl: Supports gay GOP candidate criticized by committee member.
Danielle Allen: State has taken too long where leadership is open to all.
Ben Downing: Support anti-discrimination laws for transgender people.
Danielle Allen: Focus on corporate purpose and stakeholder capitalism.
Danielle Allen: Alternatives to incarceration; justice by focus on community.
Geoff Diehl: Police should not be condemned, but supported.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Wrote law banning chokeholds & racial profiling.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Make retail cannabis market accessible to smaller players.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Young people shouldn't have to carry decades of student debt.
Energy & Oil|
Geoff Diehl: A vocal critic of the Transportation Climate Initiative.
Ben Downing: Transition to clean energy economy means jobs.
Ben Downing: As state senator, focused on clean energy & climate change.
Ben Downing: There is no time or excuse for incrementalism.
Ben Downing: Clean energy push left out communities of color & low-income.
Ben Downing: Increase solar net metering cap, ensure future growth.
Danielle Allen: Rebuild democracy with early voting & mail-in voting.
Geoff Diehl: Opposes permanent mail-in voting as open to fraud.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Signed letter urging federal action on voting rights.
Danielle Allen: Democracy is about working, deciding, acting together.
Ben Downing: Supports AG on enforcing state assault weapons law.
Danielle Allen: Prioritize a new level of public health investment.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: COVID: universal masking in schools, indoor public spaces.
Danielle Allen: COVID: Mandatory vaccinations for elderly, prison workers.
Danielle Allen: Pandemic was last straw; commonwealth ready for change.
Geoff Diehl: Get undocumented processed as citizens as quickly as we can.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Proposed path for in-state college tuition for undocumented.
Geoff Diehl: COVID: State should have furloughed non-essential employees.
Ben Downing: Need emergency paid sick time, for minorities & women.
Principles & Values|
Danielle Allen: Will bring experience from academia to governing.
Geoff Diehl: We're looking to re-empower the individual in Massachusetts.
Geoff Diehl: Would rather leave national politics out of governor's race.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: My North Star is: "Are we getting results?".
Danielle Allen: It shouldn't be every person for themselves anymore.
Danielle Allen: Committed to building blocks of social infrastructure.
Ben Downing: We need a sense of urgency from leadership to address issues.
Ben Downing: Lived in communities that had to fight to get resources.
Ben Downing: Voters expect more: you have to earn their trust.
Ben Downing: Beacon Hill postpones & relies on Mass. exceptionalism.
Ben Downing: Grief and loss teach empathy, perspective, fierce urgency.
Danielle Allen: Better targeted investment than two-month sales tax holiday.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Ben Downing Massachusetts Democratic candidate for governor
- Danielle Allen Massachusetts Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Geoff Diehl Massachusetts Republican Challenger
- Sonia Chang-Diaz Massachusetts Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
The above quotations are from 2022 Massachusetts Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
Next election in 2022; contenders:
MA 2022 Gubernatorial debate:
Incumbent Charlie Baker(R)
vs.Harvard Professor Danielle Allen(D)
vs.State Sen.Ben Downing(D)
vs.State Sen.Sonia Chang-Diaz(D)
Past gubernatorial races:
2018 Massachusetts gubernatorial debate,
Gov. Charlie Baker(R)
Mayor Setti Warren (D)
Jay Gonzalez (D)
Bob Massie (D)
Former gubernatorial races:
2014 MA Gubernatorial debate
2006 MA Democratic primary debate
2006 MA Gubernatorial debate;
Mihos (R, 2010);
Ross (D, 2010);
Stein (G, 2010);
Gabrieli (D, 2006);
Reich (D, 2002);
O'Brien (D, 2002)
2018-22 Governors' book excerpts:
- American Crisis, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Can't Is Not an Option, by Gov. Nikki Haley (R,SC)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- The Opposite of Woe, by Gov. John Hickenlooper (D,CO)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Romney: An Inside Look, about Gov. Mitt Romney (R,MA)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Unintimidated, by Governor Scott Walker (R,WI)
- What A Party!, by Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- 2022 Senatorial debates: