Richard Madaleno on Tax Reform
Raise estate tax at state level since feds won't
OnTheIssues Q: what are your views on Tax Reform issues?
Source: OnTheIssues interview of 2018 Maryland Governor candidate
, Jun 1, 2018
- Opposes 2017 GOP tax plan
- Sponsored law expanding Earned Income Tax Credit
Sponsored law decoupling MD estate tax from federal estate tax in light of increase of federal exemption
Voted YES to increase state income tax rates
This bill impacts State and local revenues as follows:
- increases State income tax revenues by (1) increasing State income tax rates and establishing new individual income tax brackets beginning in tax year 2012;
and (2) repealing the credit for telecommunications property taxes.
- increases sales and use tax revenues by (1) requiring specified out-of-state vendors to collect the sales and use tax; and (2) repealing the State sales and use tax exemption
for demurrage charges;
- expands the State refundable earned income credit
- increases the other tobacco products tax
- Reduces the public school maintenance of effort amounts counties are required to provide to local school systems.
Legislative Outcome: Passed Senate 26-20-1 on March 15; Sen. Madaleno voted YEA; passed House 81-56-4 March 23; bill did not proceed to Governor.
Source: Maryland legislative voting records: SB 523
, Mar 15, 2012
Page last updated: Jul 06, 2018