Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
A Governor`s Story
The Fight for Jobs and America's Economic Future,
by Jennifer Granholm
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from A Governor`s Story, by Jennifer Granholm (number of quotes indicated):
- Barack Obama (3) Democratic President (elected 2008)
- Carolyn Kilpatrick (1) Democrat (until 2010) U.S. Rep Michigan-13
- Chris Christie (1) New Jersey N.J. Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- George W. Bush (1) Republican
- Jennifer Granholm (19) Michigan Previously Democratic Governor
- Joe Biden (1) Democrat
- John Dingell (1) Democrat (retiring 2014) U.S. Rep Michigan-12
- John Kasich (1) Ohio Republican Governor
- John Rockefeller (1) Democratic Sr Senator (retiring 2014) West Virginia
- Mark Sanford (1) South Carolina Former Republican Governor (2002-2010)
- Mike Johanns (1) Nebraska Former Republican Governor (2005-2007); elected Senator 2008
- Mitch Daniels (1) Indiana Former Republican Governor (2005-2013)
- Mitt Romney (1) Massachusetts Former GOP Governor (2003-2006); Pres. candidate (2008)
- Rick Perry (1) Texas Secretary of Energy
- Tim Pawlenty (1) Minnesota Republican challenger and previous Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
OnTheIssues.org BOOK REVIEW:
Jennifer Granholm, the Governor of Michigan during the Great Recession, expresses eternal optimism in this book. Of course, anyone serving as Governor of Michigan during the Great Recession better express eternal optimism, or they'd go crazy. Granholm frames the book with a opening chart "7 months of free fall" (events of the Great Recession) and a closing chart of "11 months of hope" (her policy responses to the Great Recession). The key events of the "7 months of free fall" were the bankruptcies of Chrysler and GM, the largest bankruptcies in US history, and Granholm's constituents took the brunt of the unemployment hit from those massive restructurings.
But Granholm goes overboard on the optimism--portraying her critics and opponents as all just pessimists and naysayers. That sort of one-sided optimism is why unauthorized biographies are superior to autobiographies--because a journalist author has the opportunity to present both sides, rather than a politically-motivated one-sidedness like Granholm's book.
This autobiography only shows the GOOD news--that "11 months of hope" chart implies that everything will be OK once her policies take full effect. But that did not prove to be the case--she left office in January 2011, and the city of Detroit declared bankruptcy in July 2013, only 18 months later, with her policies still mostly in force. A more realistic assessment would have felt less like brainwashing.
Jennifer Granholm is considered a Rising Star in the Democratic Party. Her one shortcoming is that she was born in Canada, and hence is ineligible for the presidency or vice presidency. If not for that inconvenient Constitutional restriction, Granholm would be on every pundit's "short list." In fact, Granholm makes some pundits' "short list" anyway--in conjunction with Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was considered a Rising Star in the Republican Party with the same inconvenient Constitutional restriction of having been born abroad. The pundits' idea is that a Constitutional amendment would change that restriction, and it would pass quickly with bipartisan support because of the bipartisan appeal of the Schwarzenegger-Granholm pairing. It will be left to be seen if Schwarzenegger can recuperate from his recent scandals to reignite that debate by 2016 or even by 2020.
-- Jesse Gordon, OnTheIssues editor-in-chief, December 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Jennifer Granholm: Lower tax rates mean budget cuts, then more cuts.
Barack Obama: Irresponsibility on Wall Street led to financial crisis.
Chris Christie: OpEd: Don't pick winners & losers? Picks "critical" sectors.
George W. Bush: 2006: Automakers need a product that's relevant.
Jennifer Granholm: Executive pay imbalance is improper from moral standpoint.
Jennifer Granholm: Tax cuts are minor compared to talent recruitment.
Jennifer Granholm: We pick winners & losers to compete against other states.
Jennifer Granholm: Carmaker government-run bankruptcies saved GM & Chrysler.
John Kasich: OpEd: Don't pick winners & losers? Offers 12 tax credits.
John Rockefeller: Persuaded Toyota to build plant in West Virginia.
Mark Sanford: 2009: Disdainful of auto companies' bailout proposals.
Mike Johanns: Auto bailouts were worst investment you could possibly make.
Mitch Daniels: OpEd: proclaims laissez-faire; but offers 8 tax credits.
Mitt Romney: NY Times editorial: "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt".
Rick Perry: OpEd: Says don't pick winners & losers; but doles out $250M.
Tim Pawlenty: 2009: Automakers should have gone bankrupt 6 months earlier.
Barack Obama: Race to the Top: 46 states competed for creative reform.
Jennifer Granholm: 2002: Invest in early education through college scholarships.
Jennifer Granholm: Every child in Michigan takes a college-prep curriculum.
Energy & Oil|
Jennifer Granholm: Diversify into renewable and clean energy.
Jennifer Granholm: Irresistible tax credits for wind, solar, & biofuels.
John Dingell: Led fight against federal fuel economy standards.
Jennifer Granholm: NAFTA is about whether we're going to make things in America.
Jennifer Granholm: Replace CAFTA outsourcing with "No Worker Left Behind".
Jennifer Granholm: Encourage insourcing, instead of victims of globalization.
Joe Biden: I'm a "car guy"; I recognize importance of manufacturing.
Barack Obama: 2008: must be national system; not state-level pilots.
Jennifer Granholm: $50M bailout of Detroit Medical Center during recession.
Jennifer Granholm: Jobs Race to the Top: compete for regional job creation.
Principles & Values|
Carolyn Kilpatrick: Son Kwame resigned as Detroit mayor in criminal scandal.
Jennifer Granholm: Born in Canada; raised in California; elected in Michigan.
Jennifer Granholm: Elected Attorney General on slogan, "I'll take your case!".
Jennifer Granholm: 2003: GOP tax policy based on unimaginably rosy assumptions.
Jennifer Granholm: Lower taxes DID create jobs, but not necessarily in America.
Jennifer Granholm: We have failed to invest in our physical infrastructure.
The above quotations are from A Governor`s Story
The Fight for Jobs and America's Economic Future,
by Jennifer Granholm.
Autobiographies and Biographies of Governors:
- What A Party!, by gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D, VA)
- The Last Line of Defense, by gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R, VA)
- Chris Christie: The Inside Story of His Rise to Power, by Bob Ingle and Michael Symons
- Can`t is Not an Option, by Gov. Nikki Haley, April 2012
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King, Oct. 2010
- The Governator, by Ian Halperin (about Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, R-CA), Aug. 2011
- A Governor`s Story, by Jennifer Granholm (D-MI), Oct, 2005
- The Agenda for America, by Gov. Haley Barbour (R, MS), April 1996
- Blue Man in a Red State, by Greg Lemon, (about Gov. Brian Schweitzer, D, MT), June 2008
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R, AZ), Nov. 2011
- Crossroads: The Future of American Politics, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D, NY), Oct. 2003
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D, MA), April 2011
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Lincoln Chafee (I, RI), April 2008
- Teachers Under Attack, by Mike Spina, about Gov. Chris Christie (R, NJ), Feb. 2011
Press Releases etc. from Governors, Mayors, and Justices:
- Gubernatorial Press Releases, 2016-2019
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2013
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2012
- Gubernatorial Press Releases, 2011
- Gubernatorial Press Releases, 2010
- Gubernatorial Press Releases, 2001-2009
- Mayoral Press Releases, 2011
- Senatorial Press Releases, 2010's
- Gubernatorial Campaign websites, 2010-2011
- Mayoral Campaign websites, 2011
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2011
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2010
- Mayorial State of the City speeches, 2007-2011
- Gubernatorial Campaign websites, 2010
- Gubernatorial Campaign websites, 2001-2009
- My Grandfather's Son, by Justice Clarence Thomas, Oct. 2008
Page last edited: Dec 20, 2018