Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Columns and news articles in The Atlantic
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from The Atlantic (number of quotes indicated):
- Abby Finkenauer (1) Democrat U.S. Rep Iowa- 1
- Amy Klobuchar (2) Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Andrew Yang (2) Democratic candidate for President; CEO
- Ben Carson (1) HUD Secretary
- Beto O`Rourke (2) Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Bill Weld (1) Massachusetts Republican presidential primary challenger
- Charlie Crist (1) Florida Democratic Governor Challenger
- Cory Booker (7) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Donald Trump (5) Republican Presidential incumbent
- Elizabeth Warren (3) Massachusetts Senator
- Eric Brakey (2) GOP Candidate for U.S Senate from Maine Maine
- Eric Swalwell (1) California Presidential candidate (withdrawn); U.S. Rep from CA-15
- Hillary Clinton (2) Democratic Presidential candidate
- Jason Kander (2) Democratic Senate candidate Missouri
- Jay Inslee (7) Washington Democratic Washington Governor
- Joe Arpaio (1) Republican Candidate for Arizona U. S. Senator Arizona
- Joe Manchin III (1) West Virginia Former Democratic Governor (Until 2010)
- John Delaney (1) Maryland Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from MD-6
- John Hickenlooper (2) Colorado Democratic Colorado Governor
- John Kasich (1) Ohio Republican Ohio Governor
- Josh Mandel (1) Former Republican Nominee (withdrew 2018) Ohio
- Julian Castro (1) Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris (3) California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Michael Bennet (4) Colorado Democratic candidate for President; Colorado Senator
- Mike Pompeo (2) Kansas Secretary of State
- Paul Ryan (1) Republican
- Rex Tillerson (1) Secretary of State 2017-2018
- Rick Perry (4) Texas Secretary of Energy
- Scott Walker (1) Wisconsin WI Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- Tim Ryan (2) Ohio Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from OH-13
- Tom Barrett (1) Democrat U.S. Rep Wisconsin-5
- Tom Steyer (2) Possible Democratic candidate for President from California
- Tulsi Gabbard (1) Hawaii Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from HI-2
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Articles in The Atlantic magazine:
- "The Pull of Andrew Yang's Pessimism," Edward-Isaac Dovere, August 15, 2019
- "Andrew Yang Is Not Your Climate Friend," Robinson Meyer, August 1, 2019
- "Why Tom Steyer Changed His Mind on Running for President,", by Edward-Isaac Dovere, July 10, 2019
- "Julian Castro's 'Latino Candidate' Trap," Edward-Isaac Dovere, Jul 25, 2019
- "Klobuchar's Hazy 'Heartland Economics'," by Edward-Isaac Dovere, 4/4/2019
- "Beto Sees Trump's Immigration Trap Clearly," by Peter Beinart, 4/1/19
- "Beto Sees Trump's Immigration Trap Clearly," by Peter Beinart, Apr. 1, 2019
- "Cory Booker Is Happy to Be Under the Radar--For Now," by Edward-Isaac Dovere , 3/27/2019
- "Can A Rust Belt Yogi Save The Democratic Party?," by Elaine Godfrey, Mar. 15, 2019
- "The Democrat Who Wants To Stop The Rage," by Edward-Isaac Dovere, Mar. 2, 2019
- "Jay Inslee's Risky Bet for 2020," by Edward-Isaac Dovere , 3/1/2019
- "Harris's Campaign Strategy: Don't Pick a Lane," by Edward-Isaac Dovere, Jan. 22, 2019
- "Can a Democrat Win the Presidency on Climate Change?", by Edward-Isaac Dovere, 1/2/2019
- "Cory Booker's Theory of Love," by Franklin Foer, Dec 17, 2018
- "John Delaney Is Playing the Long Game," by Elaine Godfrey, Dec. 10, 2018
- "John Kasich Searches For His Place In the GOP," by Dick Polman, Dec 3, 2018
- "Kamala Harris's Trump-Size Tax Plan," Oct. 18, 2018
- "Warren's Ambitious Fix for America's Housing Crisis," by Madeleine Carlisle, Sep. 25, 2018
- "Hickenlooper Is the Antithesis of Trump," by Kyle Trygstad, Sep. 18, 2018
- "Elizabeth Warren's Theory of Capitalism," by Franklin Foer, Aug. 28, 2018
- "Delusions and Realities of the Immigration Debate," by Adam Serwer, Jan. 24, 2018
- "The Organization That Sent Tulsi Gabbard to Syria," by Yasmeen Serhan, Jan. 31, 2017
- "Breakfast With Bill Weld," by Molly Ball, Oct. 3, 2016
- "Colorado's Governor on Marijuana Legalization," by Conor Friedersdorf, Jul 1, 2014
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Hillary Clinton: Hobby Lobby decision is slippery slope against women.
Budget & Economy|
Amy Klobuchar: Focus on issues affecting small business, rural America.
Jay Inslee: Leading state in job growth & personal-income growth.
John Kasich: Strongly opposed "bathroom bills" against transgender people.
Joe Arpaio: Convicted then pardoned for violating Latinos' civil rights.
Tom Steyer: Corporate corruption has broken our government.
Elizabeth Warren: Wants workers to choose 40% of corporate boards.
Cory Booker: Attacks on private equity "nauseating".
Kamala Harris: Punish violent criminals, but understand they also need help.
Tom Barrett: My police department arrests felons instead of hiring them.
Michael Bennet: Let states experiment with marijuana; address racial issues.
John Hickenlooper: Failed War on Drugs paved way for pot legalization.
Cory Booker: Government should not profit from student debt.
Cory Booker: Investment in education helps the whole society.
Cory Booker: Supports "Race to the Top" education reform.
Energy & Oil|
Andrew Yang: 10 years too late on climate change, move to higher ground.
Jay Inslee: Fighting climate change crucial, and profitable.
Kamala Harris: Climate change important, but not only issue.
Jay Inslee: Decade-long track record on climate change.
Jay Inslee: Climate change threatens environment & national security.
Jay Inslee: Spur green R&D; restrict power plants and emissions.
Jay Inslee: Establish solar-cell; expand use of electric ferries.
John Hickenlooper: Pro-environment but there's room for fossil fuels.
Joe Manchin III: 2010 ad: Shot a hole in the cap and trade bill.
Beto O`Rourke: Help refugee asylum seekers at home in Northern Triangle.
Tulsi Gabbard: U.S. should focus on fighting terrorism, not regime change.
Eric Brakey: Deposing secular dictators in Mid-East empowers our enemies.
Donald Trump: U.S. has become dumping ground for everybody else's problems.
Rick Perry: Hasn't called for defense cuts; hasn't endorsed Bush's wars.
Rick Perry: Tolerating vicious ideas is weakness: condemn ISIS & Putin.
Rick Perry: Warsaw Pact failed & NATO survived: we keep our commitments.
Josh Mandel: Leave Iraq & Afghanistan strategically, without date certain.
John Delaney: Supports trade but government must help those it has hurt.
Elizabeth Warren: Supports a lifetime ban on officials becoming lobbyists.
Eric Swalwell: After mass shootings, time to make gun control an issue.
Tim Ryan: Soured on NRA after Sandy Hook.
Jay Inslee: Arming teachers with guns is ridiculous.
Amy Klobuchar: Immigrants crucial to labor & management.
Beto O`Rourke: Stop refugee issue by dealing with what's driving them here.
Michael Bennet: Trump is anti-immigrant; immigrants are a positive force.
Michael Bennet: America is a unique place for refugees to succeed.
Andrew Yang: Most new jobs are gig, temporary, or contractor.
Tim Ryan: Progressive goals should be sold as job creation.
Abby Finkenauer: Opposed state bill reducing collective bargaining rights.
Principles & Values|
Tom Steyer: Trump is a criminal, nothing at all like me.
Donald Trump: OpEd: criminal act to try to get A.G. to unrecuse.
Donald Trump: OpEd: impeachable act to fire FBI's Comey.
Donald Trump: OpEd: impeachable act to investigate Hillary Clinton.
Donald Trump: OpEd: Trump's crew tried to collude, like Keystone Kollusion.
Michael Bennet: Most Democrats are not socialists and should say so.
Rick Perry: Western ideology respects others; ISIS ideology does not.
Charlie Crist: I stand for fairness and trying to treat people right.
Ben Carson: 2010: Vetted for Lt. Gov., but decision to run "up to God".
Paul Ryan: I credit Ayn Rand for getting me involved in public service.
Scott Walker: 19 Walker associates involved in "John Doe" scandal.
Julian Castro: Trust Fund needs immigrants to shore up Baby Boomers.
Cory Booker: Don't raise retirement age, except maybe for young workers.
Cory Booker: Helped people claim earned-income tax credit.
Kamala Harris: Payments to needy, not tax breaks for the rich.
Elizabeth Warren: Making housing affordable by raising estate tax.
Cory Booker: Millionaire from Silicon Valley-funded tech startup.
War & Peace|
Mike Pompeo: Caution with history of deceit by North Korea.
Mike Pompeo: Negotiate from strength to denuclearize North Korea.
Rex Tillerson: Create right conditions for negotiations with North Korea.
Bill Weld: Supports libertarian "restraint" on military action.
Jason Kander: Iraq War was a huge strategic error, and I said so then.
Jason Kander: Engage ISIS, including ground troops as a last resort.
Hillary Clinton: Not helping Free Syrian Army left vacuum for ISIS to fill.
Welfare & Poverty|
Eric Brakey: Disallow using food stamps to purchase junk food.
The above quotations are from Columns and news articles in The Atlantic.