Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2019 "Meet the Candidates" presidential series on NYTimes.com
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from The New York Times 2019 "Meet the Candidates" series (number of quotes indicated):
- Amy Klobuchar (2) Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Andrew Yang (10) Democratic candidate for President; CEO
- Bernie Sanders (2) Democratic Presidential candidate
- Beto O`Rourke (3) Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Bill de Blasio (1) New York Democratic primary candidate and NYC mayor
- Cory Booker (2) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Elizabeth Warren (2) Massachusetts Senator
- Eric Swalwell (3) California Presidential candidate (withdrawn); U.S. Rep from CA-15
- Jay Inslee (4) Washington Democratic Washington Governor
- John Delaney (7) Maryland Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from MD-6
- John Hickenlooper (3) Colorado Democratic Colorado Governor
- Julian Castro (3) Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris (1) California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Kirsten Gillibrand (3) New York Democratic candidate for President; New York Senator
- Marianne Williamson (10) Democratic candidate for President
- Pete Buttigieg (2) Indiana Democratic candidate for President; Mayor of South Bend, IN
- Seth Moulton (8) Massachusetts Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from MA-6
- Steve Bullock (10) Montana Democratic Montana Governor
- Tim Ryan (2) Ohio Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from OH-13
- Tulsi Gabbard (5) Hawaii Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from HI-2
- Wayne Messam (3) Florida Democratic Presidential Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Andrew Yang: Competition isn't always the answer, like for tech giants.
Marianne Williamson: Giant corporations are a malfunction in society.
Seth Moulton: Regulate tech giants more, but don't break them up.
Steve Bullock: Tech giants make billions and pay no taxes.
Andrew Yang: Death penalty has led to tragic errors.
Marianne Williamson: I oppose the death penalty.
Seth Moulton: Death penalty not worth risk of killing one innocent person.
Steve Bullock: Keep death penalty for circumstances like terrorism.
Wayne Messam: I built the greenest school in the Southeast US.
Energy & Oil|
Andrew Yang: US only accounts for 15% of global emissions, but take steps.
Seth Moulton: Get started on stopping climate change.
Steve Bullock: President's role is to set direction on climate change.
Amy Klobuchar: Open to carbon tax, but without increased prices.
Andrew Yang: Rejoin rest of world in Paris Climate Agreement.
Bernie Sanders: Keep US in Paris Climate Agreement & increase targets.
Beto O`Rourke: Leverage carbon pricing; use market against climate change.
Cory Booker: Rejoin Paris Climate Agreement, plus domestic legislation.
Elizabeth Warren: Return to Paris climate accord, & build on it.
Elizabeth Warren: Oppose subsidies for fossil fuel companies.
Eric Swalwell: Keep US in Paris Climate Agreement, with ambitious targets.
Jay Inslee: Rejoin Paris Climate Agreement on Day 1.
Jay Inslee: Carbon savings from investments, not carbon tax.
John Delaney: Re-enter the Paris Climate Agreement.
John Delaney: Fivefold increase in federal clean-energy funding.
John Delaney: Start carbon tax at $15 per ton of CO2, & add $10 per year.
Julian Castro: Federally mandated price on carbon to spur renewables.
Kamala Harris: Restore Clean Power Plan and Clean Car Standards.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Rejoin Paris Climate Agreement, plus price on carbon.
Marianne Williamson: Broad-based federal carbon tax at $60 per ton.
Marianne Williamson: Transfer subsidies for dirty energy to develop clean energy.
Pete Buttigieg: Institute carbon tax, to capture the true cost of things.
Tim Ryan: Paris Climate Agreement doesn't go nearly far enough.
Tulsi Gabbard: 2017: Short-sighted to withdraw from Paris Climate Accord.
Tulsi Gabbard: OFF Fossil Fuels: retrofit homes & fund new technology.
Wayne Messam: Climate change is not a hoax; we need bold action.
Andrew Yang: Thorium-based nuclear plants are safe and reliable.
Bernie Sanders: Opposes new nuclear power plant development.
Cory Booker: Support next-generation advanced nuclear reactors.
Eric Swalwell: Opposes existing nuclear power plants; but research fusion.
Jay Inslee: Explore next-generation advanced nuclear technologies.
John Delaney: Supports vehicle emissions standards and methane limits.
John Delaney: Nuclear energy should be part of our portfolio.
John Hickenlooper: Solve problem of disposal of high-level radioactive waste.
Julian Castro: We still need to find a long-term solution for nuclear waste.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Clean air is a right.
Marianne Williamson: Opposes nuclear power; phase out existing reactors.
Tim Ryan: Nuclear power needs to be part of the future for us.
Tulsi Gabbard: No, no, no to nuclear energy & nuclear waste.
Wayne Messam: Nuclear energy falls short; no new nuke plants.
Andrew Yang: Some Israeli actions are problematic on human rights.
Marianne Williamson: Commitment to both Israeli security & Palestinian rights.
Seth Moulton: Visit our allies, whom President Trump has abandoned.
Steve Bullock: Israel is a trusted partner & trusted friend.
Tulsi Gabbard: Ban oil & gas exports; end fossil-fuel subsidies.
Steve Bullock: Elevate the issue of campaign finance.
Andrew Yang: Future without handguns is not reality.
Andrew Yang: In the future, people will still own handguns.
Beto O`Rourke: We need to stop listening to NRA and gun lobby.
Bill de Blasio: Gun ownership should be treated very, very differently.
Eric Swalwell: No problem with people owning handguns.
John Delaney: I support the Second Amendment.
John Delaney: Not an ideal world, so supports Second Amendment.
John Hickenlooper: Guns make you less safe, not more.
Marianne Williamson: I am not for messing with the Bill of Rights.
Marianne Williamson: Don't mess with the Bill of Rights.
Pete Buttigieg: Respect people's desire for self-defense.
Seth Moulton: There's no need for weapons of war on our streets.
Steve Bullock: Firearm owners just want to keep their family safe.
Steve Bullock: Firearm owners just want to keep their families safe.
Tulsi Gabbard: I support our Second Amendment rights.
Seth Moulton: Don't force people to get rid of their private health plans.
Steve Bullock: Build on ObamaCare but don't replace with single-payer.
Andrew Yang: 12M illegal immigrants is a major problem.
Marianne Williamson: Moral principle: open and welcoming to the stranger.
Seth Moulton: Confront the issue of Illegal immigration.
Steve Bullock: There are bigger problems than illegal immigration.
Amy Klobuchar: Sweeping legislation that invests in green infrastructure.
Beto O`Rourke: Invest in green research via national labs & universities.
Jay Inslee: Dramatically increase federal clean energy R&D investment.
John Hickenlooper: Public-private partnerships for next-gen energy technology.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Develop renewable energy tech; cut transportation emissions.
War & Peace|
Andrew Yang: May need more troops in Afghanistan.
Marianne Williamson: Speak to Afghan women to decide about withdrawing troops.
Seth Moulton: We've got to abandon nation-building in Afghanistan.
Steve Bullock: We've been in Afghanistan for entire life of young recruits.
Welfare & Poverty|
Julian Castro: Lower energy consumption in HUD-assisted housing.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Amy Klobuchar Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Andrew Yang Democratic candidate for President; CEO
- Bernie Sanders Democratic Presidential candidate
- Beto O`Rourke Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Bill de Blasio New York Democratic primary candidate and NYC mayor
- Cory Booker New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Elizabeth Warren Massachusetts Senator
- Eric Swalwell California Presidential candidate (withdrawn); U.S. Rep from CA-15
- Jay Inslee Washington Democratic Washington Governor
- John Delaney Maryland Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from MD-6