This page contains excerpts from government reports, signed by elected officials.
Report: tax simplicity & fairness: 3 brackets with lower top rate
Our Challenge Our tax code is a mess, and that's putting it lightly. Multiple brackets. High rates. Special interest breaks everywhere. Rules and regulations that are too complicated to understand. It costs more and more each year just to do your taxes, let alone pay them. All of this drags people down and leaves businesses buried in paperwork and compliance problems. So instead of promoting growth, our tax code is pushing jobs overseas. And the agency charged with overseeing all of this--the IRS--has repeatedly violated the trust of the American taxpayer.
Our Vision We need a new tax code. It needs to be fair and simple for everyone. It should be so simple that most Americans can do their taxes on a form as simple as a postcard. Our tax code should be built for growth.
Also see Overview of "A Better Way"; details of "Vision for Tax Reform "; and related GOP plank on Corporations
- Simplicity and fairness. Our plan makes the tax code simpler, fairer, and flatter, so it's easier to have peace of mind at critical moments in life.
Consolidate the system down to three tax brackets, and lower the top individual income tax rate to 33 percent.
- Simplify tax filing for families by creating a larger standard deduction and a larger child and dependent tax credit.
- Jobs and growth. Our plan makes it easier to create jobs, raise wages, and expand opportunity for all Americans.
- Cut taxes on small businesses by creating a separate, low tax rate of 25 percent for many on Main Street.
- Cut taxes on savings and investment by allowing families and individuals to deduct 50 percent of the dividends, capital gains, and interest received from stocks and mutual funds.
- A service first IRS. Our plan matches a simpler, fairer tax code with a simpler, fairer IRS that puts taxpayers first. Clear out the bureaucracy by doing away with all the rules, regulations, forms, and instructions that won't be needed with a simpler, fairer tax code.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 11.
Question 11: Higher taxes on the wealthy
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Tax Reform
- Headline: Simplicity & fairness: 3 tax brackets with lower top rate
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 16Better11
participating in 16Better11
||s1s||GA Health and Human Services|| |
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: